Misting water storage tanks
Fire protection misting tanks
Tricel Killarney offers a wide selection of water storage solutions including, fire suppression and misting tanks. Misting systems are a fixed fire protection system which uses water droplets to control, suppress and extinguish fires.
A misting system uses nozzles which are fitted to a water piping system connected to the main water supply. Once activated, the water is pumped from the water supply through the piping system through to the automatic nozzles. Once a fire is activated the nozzles automatically discharge fine water droplets or water mist, which fills the protected zone removing two of the three elements for a fire to spread. Elements removed include, oxygen & heat. This type of fire protection would generally be installed with smoke alarms or fire detection and alarm systems in place.
Fire protection misting tanks are extremely effective and significantly reduce asset damage and operational downtime in all business-critical applications.
Water tank options for misting systems
- Insulated – suitable for storage of wholesome water (potable water)
- Un-insulated for storing of water for non-wholesome applications
Water supply for misting tanks
Water mist systems depend on water supplied from either a dedicated pump system (for larger spaces) or alternatively dual pressurized nitrogen and non-pressurized water filled cylinder system banks (for more local application). These systems were primarily produced for use in space restricted areas in the airline and marine industries but are now being used more widely in some of the following applications:
- Data centres
- Hotels & residential buildings
- Commercial Offices & Banks
- Hospitals, Community& Care Centres
- Schools & Universities
- Museums and archiving centres
The main objective for the use of water mist system can be:
- Fire Extinguishment.A sharp reduction in heat release rate leading to complete elimination of any flaming or smouldering fire or
- Fire suppression/control.A steady reduction in the heat release rate resulting in a lower controlled level of burning/limitation of fire growth and protection of structure (by cooling of the objects, fire gases and/or by pre-wetting adjacent combustibles).
The benefits of using water mist fire suppression in comparison to more traditional sprinkler systems, are as follows:
- Immediate activation
- Quicker fire fighting due to its cooling properties (water into steam)
- Minimized water damage due to the low consumption of water required for the system
- Less downtime to businesses resulting in lower costs
- Systems can be designed for space restricted areas
- An environmentally friendly solution to fire suppression
- The mist can extinguish a fire in shielded and obstructed locations.
- The larger the surface area, the more effective the system becomes in quickly reducing temperature and oxygen at the flame front.
Misting tanks performance & regulations
The appropriate minimum duration of water supply needs to be selected for each project as it is currently not a prescribed standardised value. Values of minimum duration of water supply could be taken as for automatic sprinkler systems, for similar premises, e.g. minimum durations for:
- Domestic – in excess of 10 minutes for BS 92515 sprinkler systems
- Residential – 30 minutes for BS 92515 sprinkler systems or in excess of 60 minutes for BS EN 128453 or BS 5306 Part 24 sprinkler systems.
To ensure optimum performance and compliance with regulations, the following ancillary items are usually fitted to our fire protection tanks:
- Hydrostatic contents gauge to measure the level of water in the tank.
- AB Air gap to prevent water siphoning back into the mains water supply.
- Internal Ladder for safe tank access.
- External aluminium ladder complete with safety cage to safely gain access to the man-way cover for maintenance purposes.
- Tank overflow and warning pipes.
- Drainage facility to completely drain down the tank for maintenance work.
- Access man-way to enable testing, maintenance etc.
- Side access hatch.
- Vortex inhibitor eliminates air circulation through the water when large volumes of water are extracted from the tank.
- Immersion heater to prevent water from freezing in the tank and pipe work.
See more products
We have manufactured & installed water storage tanks for over 40 years
Get in touch
If you would like to purchase any of our tanks, contact our experienced sales team
Manufacturing water tanks since 1973, made from Glass Reinforced Plastics (GRP). This top quality material offers outstanding capabilities including long life, durability and is cost effective solution for water storage even in the harshest environment for both potable and non-potable applications.
Tricel manufacture, supply, deliver & install water tanks, import/export service is also on hand for our international clients.
COLD WATER STORAGE TANKS
Standard range: 1,000 litres to 4,651,290 litres, custom moulded/bespoke tanks available.
Base Leveling Steels Available Now!
One piece tanks
Standard range: 45 litres to 4,546 litres, custom moulded/bespoke tanks available.
Fire Protection Sprinkler tanks - standard capacity ranges from 5m3 to 1300m3.